.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Baton (and on)

Well, Ben at silent words speak loudest has passed the baton of questioning to me. So here goes. Sadly, I won't be as obscure as he predicts.

1: What is the total amount of music files on your computer?

A few odd bits, a Captain Beefheart Peel session and the odd song that usually are radio recordings or such. Not much though. What with having no internet connection at home, I don’t get chance to download much. Besides, as a fanzine writer, I’m well catered for with the physical stuff coming through the post.

2: The last CD you bought is:

2 formats of the Ricky/Amsterdam split single out this week. Just helping a Pompey band (Ricky) in their assault on the tip-top pop charse, mate.

3: What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?

Well, it was the last track on the ‘Cliff Richard & The Dark Side’ album which I reviewed whilst on a National Express coach between London and Liverpool last night. It’s a massively distorted bludgeoning of the ‘Summer Holiday’ soundtrack. Vaguely demonic, largely unlistenable, but utterly great, of course.

4: Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

Cardiacs – Big Ship.
The all time favourite. Heard live twice in 3 nights recently and I doubt it’d get boring if I heard it played live every night. The incessant drive of the coda makes me tingly like nothing else can.

The Fall – Cheetham Hill.
Probably the track that started it all for me. That or ‘The Chiselers’. I’m 1996 Fall vintage, y’see.

Red Letter Day - Rain.
I lost count of the number of times I jumped on stage to join in with the final chorus on this one. A band that inspires the spirit. And Ade's me chum. And a H&W supporter. What more could you want.

Lonnie Donegan – Grand Coolee Dam
A Woody Guthrie song given extra life by the skiffle legend. Hearing him perform this at Guildford Festival 2001 was one of my favourite ever gig moments.

Pere Ubu – Lonesome Cowboy Dave
I don’t pretend to be an Ubu expert, but this song is perfect for opening compilation tapes that I make (if anyone wants one, do let me know!), being that my name is indeed David. But don’t tell anyone.

Like Ben, a number of these 5 will change tomorrow, and the next day.

5: Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?

Leon. As he tells me a blog is forthcoming, but he could also put something on his news board on the current web page.

Ian. Give him an excuse to get some content on his blog thing.

Loopy Librarian. Wor gaffer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home