.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, January 21, 2005

To promote or not to promote

Just purely by chance, I have caught the gig promoting bug again. I am wondering whether or not I should let it take over me, or send in the white blood cells of common sense.

Since the 3 oDD/eVEN events to coincide with the first few issues in 2002 (photos here) I have left gigs WELL alone. I ended up not enjoying the shows through stressing myself out getting things sorted on the day, soundchecks and so on, and worrying about how many punters would turn up. In the end the 3 shows left me ten quid up, so I can't complain, but due to heavy rain, the final show with Tender Trap was very quiet, bodies wise.

That said, I like the idea of being the chap who brings some interesting new bands to town. Tying it up with VP can't hurt it's standing in Liverpool (at the moment, it's just something that litters the flyer table in Probe), and it may also give me a chance to spin discs again. Thats half the reason I'm so keen. I'm a VERY frustrated DJ, with plenty of records itching to be spun.

But I don't know, especially as the nature of my tastes makes the bands I want to see, and put on, very unknown quantities. This is very much case with the band that has caused my interest to reawaken. A few issues ago, VP interviewed a New York band, Luminescent Orchestrii, simply because they emailed out of the blue and asked if we would. They then sent me a CD and I liked both that and the ethic of what they were trying to do.

Just thinking today that I should catch up with what they're up to, I noticed several changes to their website, and a e-mailing-list sign up box. Having banged that off from my work address, Sxip from the band emails and asks how a UK punter has heard of them, so I reveal that I am also 'Skif', of VP fanzine. I ask him to keep my secret identity safe. It's a Batman thing, y'know.

Anyway, he reveals the band are looking to play some dates in the UK in the summer and asks for some contacts. I assist with Leeds, Portsmouth and Liverpool. Then I get to thinking. Maybe I could do it in Liverpool. After all, last month I went to an Americana night at the Heav'n & Hell club in Fleet Street and that seemed an ideal size for the sort of gigs I would want to put on. Bringing a punky Eastern European gypsy folk band from New York to town would be great.

But would anyone come?

Is this lunacy?

Do I desperately want hypertension?

But maybe it'd be different this time. Maybe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home