.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, January 21, 2005

How to review music pt. 1

...whilst watching football on the telly.

Having attended the Man U/Exeter shenanigans at Old Trafford, it seemed like unfinished business not to watch the replay, broadcast live by the ever helpful BBC. Exeter's charming St James' Park is a ground I've long wished to visit, but I reckon H&W will end up there one day, in some capacity, so I am in no particular rush to go. Also it's feckin' miles away.

I was aware though, in the corner of my eye, of the burgeoning pile of 7" records that have built up, so I thought I'd review some whilst watching the game on mute. Now I can deal with a lack of commentary, as you don't get that if you are actually THERE, but with no sounds of crowd, the thwack of foot on ball or, indeed, the crunch of studs on kneecap, it is a pretty eerie experience, leaving rampant bloodlust unsatisfied as the sound is everything. A good mantra for a reputable music fanzine writer there, I guess. If only I could find one.

This lack of 'sound' was overridden though by the excellent quality and innovation displayed in the 7 singles I managed to get through. 4 of these were on the Sparticus Stargazer label, and of those half were by DJ Ordeal (splendid gonzo stuff, love it!), who also contributed backing sounds to probably the best of the lot, by the Sparticus Stargazer herself. Imagine a 90 year old lady, sounding as through from Worcestershire, reading the hobo poetry of the likes of Peggy Lee and Don Van Vliet. There you have it. Magic on a small vinyl platter.

Also managed to listen to the 4 bands on the 2 7"'s in the Asking for Trouble box-set I described earlier. All excellent, but particularly like Uter. The fact the mini-fanzine inside contains a guide to how the record was put together makes this set just magic for me and would implore anyone to buy it. They wanted to put out one record (well, one 'set') and make it the best in the world, and they describe the ups and downs of trying to achieve that.

Now THAT is romance, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home