.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Blogging the blag

First fruits from my contacting of artists reviewed in the latest Robots & Electronic Brains have started to arrive. Despite not having any copies of the record I had enquired about left, the good people at Static Caravan sent on 4 7" singles, including a couple of splits, so plenty to investigate. The Marcia Blane School For Girls does sound promising - I have come across their name before - not an easy one to forget really.

I am always uneasy about upfront blagging, but I guess some are more mercenary, at least I offer something in exchange i.e. publicity, and usually good publicity. I only hope that people do read VP and check things out. Robots & Electronic Brains never fails to inspire me in that respect and I hope we do the same.

Certainly I would never blag and NOT review something, although things I get unsolicited from PR companies sometimes go unreviewed (mainly due to them not inspiring me greatly and I'd rather not publish negative stuff if I can help it). That doesn't happen that much though as my other writers might see something in it that I don't so I'll send them on if I am failing a record in this way.

One golden rule though - unsolicited demos will ALWAYS be reviewed, otherwise what is the point of fanzines? Have had some terrific demos in VP's time, as well as self-released stuff and stuff on real low key labels - The Bearded Lady, Qhixldekx, he Radiator Experts and The Party spring instantly to mind and they are not alone. The full list would go on for some time. I always look forward to getting stuff from new artists - you may only be a few minutes listening away from being blown away. It's not a bad life this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home