.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 04, 2005

Magic! Band!

Fantastic! I am informed the Magic Band are coming back to the UK this summer.

Thier show at the Highbury Garage last June was just sublime and I toyed then with going to the Leeds show at the end of the same week.

Probably best I saved the cash, as I'm really looking forward to this.

I took delivery in January of a Magic Band DVD but as yet it remains unwatched simply as experiencing these things tends to work better when in the company of another enthusiast, so am saving it for my next visit to Chez Dekx. Looking forward to that immensely.

Getting hold of this DVD took an absolute age, as I first picked up the flyer at the June show last year and then waited 7 months or so after all the delays to finally get me mitts on it. However as I was one of the first to order, I got my inner inlay card thing signed by all the band, although I had to wait an extra month for them to be sent to America and back again, but I could cope with that.

Now I used to feverishly collect star autographs when I was a kid. From running on the fields of play after county cricket to writing to Southampton football players with questionnaires (that would never be published, obviously) to bugging obscure Radio Solent presenters for their promo 6x4's. I still have a lot of these artefacts - which gives me an idea for a new series on this very blog...watch this space!!

It's nice to know that physical maturity hasn't tempered my ability to be excited by these pretty ephemeral things though, although this example is sadly rare. I had to wait for the inlay card to arrive about a month after the DVD, and while I am not likely to ask for anyone's autograph ever again, to get hold of these five signatures was ridiculously thrilling.

Not just for potential identity theft reasons either. The draining of their bank accounts can wait til after the May show. I need them to be able to afford the plane tickets, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home