.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Robin Cook RIP

Since being away for weddings and holidays, Robin Cook has passed away, and as one of the good ones, in my view (and that is a view I have as someone who has never voted Labour), he will be greatly missed from the House of Commons.

While I was in Edinburgh, of course, his funeral was held along the Royal Mile, and this meant I could stand with many others outside and listen to the service. It certainly was very moving, and Gordon Brown's eulogy was particularly good. "a 30 year masterclass in effective eloquence" I think he said. How so.

The slight breeze was taking the broadcast of John McCririck's bit slightly away from my ears and so I wasn't entirely aware why people were clapping when he stated, as I found out later, his criticisms of Tony Blair. I'm not sure that the funeral was entirely the right time for it though.

Nice to be able to pay my respects though. Rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home